Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What happened on my holiday, part II

About midweek, I lost my ambition of getting cleaned, dressed, and out of the house every day. I managed to rack up the following Accomplishments:

- Monday night, I did make carrot cake. It was awesome. I might make it again this week; I need to start building a layer of fat for winter anyway.

- Tuesday I went up to Budapest for the afternoon, just because I could.

- Wednesday I stayed inside, watched random things on TV, and frequently looked outside and thought how thankful I was to not to be Hungarian and have to go tramp around a cemetery honoring dead relatives in such grim weather.

- Thursday I... did nothing. Well, that’s not completely true, I made coffee cake. And watched the MTV Europe Music Awards, which were no where near as entertaining as last year. Although this year, I was missing Laura, Mariah, jug wine and Varda drinks.

- Friday I’m sure I did something... if I can’t remember, it was either something really good or really bad. I’m not feeling any sort of regret, so it must have been something good.

- Saturday I got up early (not by choice, but rather because someone was poking and singing at me) and went to Budapest. I can’t decide which part of the trip was better: A) running into my students as we were boozing it up in the train station at 10 am; or B) the fact that we went to Budapest and spent the day no more than 500 meters away from the train station.

- And Sunday: since it was the last day of break, I devoted the entire morning and part of the afternoon to some serious lazing around (after all, I won’t get another chance until... next weekend). And in the evening, following a trip to MediaMarkt, I watched DVDs on my new DVD player while eating microwave popcorn fresh from my new microwave (which together, including cables and wiring, cost 18,000 Ft, or about a fifth what I would have spent on a traveling vacation).

All in all, it was in no way the vacation I would have planned. But I wouldn’t have changed anything (except to make it longer, that’s a given).

4 comments:

jeremy said...

well, sounds like someone was defnitely most likely making out with sketchy hungarian dudes on friday night...

Emily said...

Well, one for sure. But's he's not too sketchy and I know his last name. Sorry, Jem, without you to egg me on, I've become almost respectable.

The Hungary Traveler said...

Respectable? HA! In my mind, not until I forget why I had to fix my toilet.

Emily said...

As a connoisseur of rap, you must be familiar with Shaggy's "It wasn't me." Which is all I can say about who broke your toilet. (There's something else in that song, some line about the bathroom floor...? I forget.)

And I can only restate my previous comment: without you (and your Varga connection, and all the connotations therein) to egg me on... RESPECTABILITY!