Monday, February 20, 2006

Commitment

Everyone in CETP knows that I’m staying in Hungary indefinitely. It’s such a given for me that I rarely think about it. It’s enough to just have it on hold in the back of mind, that of course I’ll be here forever.

But the subject of my stay in Hungary has come up twice recently, with two different reactions. First, talking with my mum a few weeks ago. I mentioned in passing something I was going to do here next year, and her reaction was quiet, sad shock. She had assumed that I would come home after a year. Second, talking with my 5th graders today. They asked when I would go home for the summer (June), and when I would come back in the fall (August). Not if I would come back, but when. They never assumed otherwise but that I would stay for two years.

The point of this rambling is... well, I’m not quite sure. Pointless, as usual. I’m not questioning if I’ll stay here or not - that’s still a given. I guess I’m just questioning what it is about Hungary that can provoke this level of commitment from me. Mostly because I’m already anticipating having to answer the eternal question that I know I’ll hear a thousand and one times this summer: “So what is it exactly that you love so much about Hungary? Why are you staying there?”

Any ideas? Rach, any psych insights?

Song of the moment: Woke Up This Morning, by Alabama 3

No comments: